Monday, June 1, 2015

An overwiew of the Psalms

These writings are considered sacred meditations, prayers and songs of praise on the majesty of God and His wondrous works.  Although this book can be subdivided into different sections covering several distinct as well as some overlapping themes or reflections, one area that seems consistent throughout is that of lamentation or distress. There are painful cries of estrangement, alienation, rejection, and abandonment as if God has turned His face away from the petitioner and no longer hears or regards the impassioned pleas of the supplicant; either as an individual or nationally as with the entire tribes of Israel. Perhaps nothing more riveting or poignant can compare to Jesus quoting Psalms 22 while He hung on the Cross of Calvary, which I have included in the following study.

But before reading Psalms 22 it might be a good idea to look at the most often quoted Twenty Third Psalm. The part I want to look at is verse 4a, which says, “Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil [harm], for You are with me. . .” Now read Psalms 22 after that to get some perspective. I think the issue here is one of perseverance in the midst of trial, doubt, uncertainty, and imminent danger or even death. It is whether or not one will continue to trust in God for the long haul, even it seems that God may be far off and unlikely to come to the rescue at the last minute. It is not about, as some will say, just keep on believing anyway, which to me is irrational but rather to learn the value of character development through learning how to be patient without complaining or being anxious. Perhaps that’s the lesson that Job [Jobab??] needed to learn, although he suffered unjustly as a righteous man.



Psalms of David:
Psalms 7: 6
Arise, O LORD, in your anger; Rise up against the rage of my enemies. Awake, my God and declare justice.


Psalms 9: 13
O LORD, see how my enemies persecute me! Have mercy and lift me up from the gates of death.


Psalms 10: 1, 12
Why, O LORD, do You stand far off? Why do You hide Yourself in times of trouble? Arise, LORD! Lift up Your hand, O God. Do not forget the helpless.


Psalms 13: 1-2
How long, O LORD? Will You forget me forever? How long will You hide Your face from me? How long must I wrestle with my thoughts and everyday have sorrow in my heart? How long will my enemy triumph over me?


Psalms 22: 1-2a
My God, My God, why have You forsaken me? Why are You so far from saving me; so far from the words of my groaning? O my God, I cry out by day, but You do not answer.


Psalms 35: 22
O LORD, You have seen this, be not silent. Do not be far from me, O LORD.


Psalms 39: 12a
Hear my prayer, O LORD, listen to my cry for help; be not deaf to my weeping.


Psalms 42: 3
My tears have been my food day and night, while men [mock me] and say to me all day long, “Where is your God?


Psalms 43: 2
You are my God my stronghold, why have You rejected me? Why must I go about mourning and oppressed by the enemy?


Psalms 44; 23
Awake, O LORD! Why do You sleep? Arouse Yourself. Do not reject us forever. Why do You hide Your face and forget our misery and oppression?


Psalms 55: 1-2
Listen to my prayer, O God, do not ignore my plea; hear me and answer me. My thoughts trouble me and I am distraught.


Psalms 60: 1
You have rejected us, O God, and burst forth upon us; You have been angry- now restore us!


Psalms 69: 17
Do not hide Your face from Your servant; answer me quickly, for I am in trouble.


A maskil of Asaph:
Psalms 78:59
When God heard them, He was very angry, He rejected Israel completely.


Psalms 79: 5
How long, O LORD? Will You be angry forever? How long will Your jealousy burn like fire?


Psalms 80: 3-4, 7, 19
Restore us, O God; make Your face shine upon us that we might be saved (rescued). O LORD, God Almighty, how long will Your anger smolder against the prayers of Your people? Restore us, O God Almighty; make Your face shine upon us that we may be saved. Restore us, O LORD God Almighty; make Your face shine upon us that we may be saved.


Sons of Korah
Psalms 85: 4-6
Restore us again, O God our Savior, and put away Your displeasure toward us. Will You be angry with us forever? Will You prolong Your anger through all generations? Will You not revive us again, that Your people may rejoice in You?


A maskil of Ethan the Ezrahite:
Psalms 89: 46
How long, O LORD? Will You hide Yourself forever? How long will Your wrath burn like fire?


A prayer of Moses the man of God:
Psalms 90: 13
Relent, O LORD! How long will it be? Have compassion on Your servants.





Robert Randle
776 Commerce St Apt B11
Tacoma, WA 98402
June 1, 2015
robertrandle51@yahoo.com