Thursday, March 23, 2017

Response to the book, "50 Simple questions for every Christian"

This is a copy of the email that I sent to the author, as below in the following:

Hi Mr. Harrison:
The first thing I want to do before making the attempt to answer the title in the subject line is that I recently purchased “50 Simple questions for every Christian” on the FOR SALE shelf at my local library. I am always looking to read something that satisfies my curious nature, especially as it pertains to questions or answers to the ultimate mystery as presented in some of the world’s religious systems, and Judaism/Christianity in particular. I was hooked after reading the first few pages, and if you will pardon the expression, “it’s a Godsend” (blessing). The writing is masterful, probing, direct, and the questions are provocative, poignant as well as challenging; the book should be read by every Christian in my opinion. I was thinking about the resurrection narratives as recorded in several New Testament passages, which to me would be a skeptic’s treasure trove. In the gospel of Matthew 27: 62-66 and 28: 11-17 there seems to be some confusion with the temple guard and the soldiers; what story would be told about how the body of Jesus was missing; the payment of a bribe; soldiers falling asleep on duty; and the last part of verse 17 where it says of the disciples of Jesus: “. . . and some doubted” – (what??); These were people who were right there and part of this supernatural event, and yet, these unnamed followers and disciples/apostles were not convinced; which says something for those of us who believe two thousand years later.

Before I move on to another matter, the stone that was removed from the tomb or sepulcher is interesting because according to the story, Jesus had already been resurrected and could simply materialize and appear suddenly as He did where the disciples were gathered. I think the resurrection story would have been more credible if the stone had not been removed and Jesus was seen walking around because it would have avoided the rumor that Matthew 28: 13 talks about.  There is at least the name of one skeptic as recorded in John 20: 24-25, which reads: Now Thomas (called Didymus), one of the Twelve, was not with the disciples when Jesus came. So the other disciples told him, “We have seen the Lord!” But he said to them, “Unless I see for myself the nail marks in His hands and put my finger where the nails were, and put my hand into His side, I will not believe” (wow!!).  This is a man that followed Jesus around, heard Him teach and perform miracles but instead of taking the word of the other disciples, he wanted verifiable proof, empirical facts, and not hearsay, or eyewitness accounts/testimonies- which should serve as a good lesson for us today and food for thought instead of just believing or accepting everything on “faith” or rather Church tradition, ritual and dogma.

Now that I have said all of that, let’s get to the main issue. I have given some thoughtful consideration to the proof of God’s existence, and if you don’t mind I would like to answer this concern by “flipping the script” or turning the question around. I would like to ask, “can you offer proof that you exist; of for that matter, proof that you love someone?” Are numbers real or letters of the alphabet- how can you prove this, and by what measure? And what about the concept of time or what is perceived as this phenomena? Isn’t everything composed of atoms or smaller subatomic particles, and isn’t there space or a void between each atom? Aren’t we really dealing with concepts or constructs of the “Mind” that are merely symbols and serve as building blocks in this illusion called “Life” but don’t really exist, in and of Itself, in reality. Whatever or Whoever is cosmic ‘Mind,’ it casts a wide net where there is reality-bias that skews any true knowledge and distorts sense perception. Therefore, all what we experience is essentially subjective and non-quantifiable (“Cogito ergo sum”).


Robert Randle
776 Commerce St Apt 701
Tacoma, WA 98402
March 17, 2017
robertrandle51@yahoo.com